Free for download only on 4th and 5th March 2020

Sunday 2 April 2017

Thwarted Escape: An Immigrant's Wayward Journey



 
Lopamudra Banerjee’s Thwarted Escape: An Immigrant's Wayward Journey introduced me to a new genre called creative non-fiction. Until then I had never read anything like that.

This book is a collage of various experiences. Her growing up years in India in a Bengali family. The traumatic experience of being abused as a child. Her empathy towards the Delhi gang rape victim to her motherhood the author choses so many topics. Her life in the US too forms an important part of this narrative.

Lopamudra isn’t a writer. She is a poet, she is a painter who with her words weaves poetry and paints the canvass, bringing true to life characters who stay with you, whom you can relate to and who will disturb you. I am glad that I read this book for Lopamudra is indeed one of the finest writers of our times. I am yet to meet a person who can write so poetic, so lyrical. There is a magic in her writing and it mesmerizes you. Reading this book is like a divine experience. There were moments when while reading the book I closed my eyes to drench myself completely into the beauty of the words. I wished the book would never finish. The book is a page turner in spite of the fact that it has no linear story structure as such. 
 
Thwarted Escape: An Immigrant's Wayward Journey is a masterpiece that cannot be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment