Free for download only on 4th and 5th March 2020

Friday 19 August 2016

Advice that changed my life

It would not be wrong to say that I was a star in my college. I was tall, fair, had green eyes. Regular exercise in the gym ensured that I had a good physique.
He is directly out of the Mills & Boons novels. He is my hero.’ I had overheard a girl say about me. That day my chest swelled with pride and I did extra rounds in the gym.

I wasted the entire year in flaunting my flamboyance. I hardly studied. Now exams were nearing and I was afraid of failure. I resolved not to appear for exams.
Your exams are starting tomorrow. What shall I make for breakfast tomorrow? Shall I make rice pudding? It is filling and gives energy.’ Aai my mother asked me.
Do not prepare anything. I am not appearing for exams this time.’
What do you mean?’
I will take a drop this year. I will appear for the examination the next year.’
Just go and appear for the exam. Let us decide what to do next after the results are out.’
What if I fail?’
You wont fail.’
How you know? I have hardly studied.’
Do not over think. Just go and answer your papers.’
Aai you don’t know how difficult this year’s syllabus is.’
Not only syllabus but life also offers difficult examinations and there is no option of dropping out.’
What do we do then?’
Don’t think of the result. Don’t worry of the final outcome. Just do whatever needs to be done. Many times the dreadful outcome never happens.’
Be clear.’
Open the book and start studying. Write your exams. Its simple.’

I had no other option. Moreover Aai had more experience of the world then me. I opened the book. I hadn’t read anything. I became tensed. For I was afraid of the failure. Don’t think of the outcome. Aai’s words rung in my ears. I kept on reading loudly. Reading loudly diverted my attention from my thoughts.

The next day I appeared for my exams. Of course the paper was difficult. But I was able to attempt half of the questions on the basis of what I had read yesterday. I wrote the paper and returned home. I stopped fretting over the thoughts of failure and just read all that I could. I answered all the papers. When the results were out, I had passed. I hadn’t topped the examinations but I hadn’t failed either.

Aai’s advice helped me to complete my studies. I got a good job. Had Aai not advised me that day, my life would have been different. I thank Aai and her advice for changing my life for good.


“I am blogging about my dreams and the people who helped make them true for the #AdviceThatMattered activity at BlogAdda in association with Stoodnt.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment