Free for download only on 4th and 5th March 2020

Thursday 27 November 2014

A missed chance which still pricks me


That night I was unable to sleep. The following day was going to be one of the most important days in my life. It was my dream to work for a multi-national company. I had got a call for interview from the number one player in the industry.

The job profile involved travelling abroad. I was happy that my would be job was going to satisfy the itch in me to travel all the wonderful places on the earth. I had always hankered to visit the leaning tower of Pisa, the Eiffel tower, the pyramids of Egypt and many more wonders of the world. I kept mentally visiting those places again and again.

I don't know when I skidded into deep slumber. By the time I woke up it was already 9 am. Oh Gosh! I said to myself. My interview was scheduled at 10 am and at 9 am I was still in my bed. I could see my dreams being shattered into pieces. Some how I gathered my composure and rushed to the bathroom. With the little time that I had to get ready I decided to give a go by to all personal grooming including shaving. I stood into the shower and drenched myself in the splashes of water. I wiped myself and shifted into clean pressed clothes. The stubble was visible when I looked into the mirror. But I had no time to shave. I got out of my house and drove as fast as I could.

This is how I looked
But something was wrong with me. I kept on rubbing my stubble. I kept on feeling unclean as I was not shaved. I was going to face my interview with that stubble on my face.


I entered the room where the revered panel was sitting. I entered the room running my fingers through my face. Hand to face gestures imply lack of confidence, I remembered reading in the book of body language. The panel asked me the questions whose answers I knew. However given that all my attention was fixed on my stubble I was unable to articulate my answers. My stubble was bothering me too much. Needless to mention I lost the position owing to my unkept beard. I swore that day I would not step out of my house ever without being shaved. 


This post is a part of #WillYouShave activity at BlogAdda in association with Gillette'

1 comment: